Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pumpkin bars, Pumpkin everything!

I've been OBSESSED with pumpkin lately.
In fact, I even bought THIS. It makes my hair smell like pumpkin and it's so so so great.

So, I came across this Paula Deen recipe here. I know, I know. Paula Deen? Lady of butter?
Well think again, kiddos. I made this one healthy. And it's damn good, too.

Pumpkin Bar ingredients

• 4 Large Brown Eggs
• 1 2/3 cups Sugar
• 1 cups all natural apple sauce, unsweetened
• 1 can organic pumpkin puree
• 2 cups All-purpose Flour
• 2 servings Ground Cinnamon
• 1 teaspoons Coarse Kosher Salt
•1 teaspoons Baking Soda
•2 teaspoons Baking Powder

Icing ingredients
•1.25 cups Light Cream Cheese
•1/2 cups Light Butter
• 2 cups Confectioners Powdered Sugar
• 1 teaspoons Vanilla Extract


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Using an electric mixer, mix the eggs, sugar, apple sauce and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.

Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at a lower speed until all ingredients are combined and the batter is very smooth.


Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 10-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes.


Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.

For the icing, mix the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again.


Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.


Nutrition Facts

Recipe Serves 24 people

Amount per Serving
  • Calories 61Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value *
  • Total Fat 2.98g5%
  • Saturated Fat 1.74g9%
  • Cholesterol 36.61mg12%
  • Sodium 119.54mg5%
  • Potassium 39.93mg1%
  • Total Carbohydrate 6.45g2%
  • Dietary Fiber 0.58g2%
  • Sugars 3.41g
  • Protein 1.55g3%
  • Vitamin A56.83
  • Vitamin C1.17
  • Calcium1.46
  • Iron2.63
  • Phosphorus0.01
  • Magnesium0.02
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 44.0% Carbs 42.3%
Protein 10.2%

1 comment:

  1. I have always been afraid to try cooking with applesauce instead of butter. I never trust those perfectly looking goodies in the glossy mags. But your bars look so moist and so fluffy I think I am about to get over my fears! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete