Sunday, February 6, 2011

The best damn brownies, ever.

Yeah. I try to stay healthy. I exercise. I watch what I eat (most of the time- definitely not as much since becoming pregnant). And often my treats on my blog are healthier alternatives to full calorie/full fat delectables.


I wanted brownies....and I wanted them bad since watching Ina Garten, Ms. Barefoot Contessa, make her Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies on the Food Network last week. Don't be mistaken. I have seen this episode about 18 times; but this last time is what did me in. I had to have these.

So hats off, Ina. You've done it again. Sure, I still made a few changes. It wouldn't be me if I didn't. But honestly, If they taste this good with minor (I'm talking very minor) adaptations, imagine what they would be like with no changes at all!


These are the damn best brownies, ever. And therefore, no nutrition information will be provided. Just enjoy them.


Adapted from: Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies: Ina Garten

1 pound unsalted butter (I used 1/2 lb unsalted butter & 1/2 lb land o lakes light butter)
1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
3 large eggs
3/4 cup egg beaters
1.5 tbsp ground coffee 
1 tbsp brewed coffee
2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an aluminum foil lined 12 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan with non stick cooking spray and sprinkle some flour over it.
Melt together the butter (I diced the butter so it would melt quicker), 16 ounces of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, egg beaters, ground coffee, brewed coffee,  vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add this to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. 
Pour into the prepared sheet pan. Spoon the peanut butter over the top of the chocolate mixture and using a knife, swirl it through the chocolate mixture. I placed 3 large spoonfuls in different places on the batter to ease the spreading of the mixture.
Bake for 20 minutes, then tap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie batter. Bake for about 10  minutes more or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Allow to chill, completely, prior to cutting into these love bugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment