Thanks to Ms. Ina Garten, I bring to you Arugula, Watermelon, Feta, and Mint Salad!
The original recipe can be found here
When the weather gets warm, my appetite sometimes just craves something fresh and crisp. I saw this salad on Barefoot Contessa a few months back, and Mr. Not Your Bubbe's Kitchen and myself were intrigued to try it.
This time, I didn't sway too far away from the original recipe, and boy was it light and refreshing; but I am offering some suggestions to you (and for me) for when this is made again.
What you need:
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- About 1/4 of a finely chopped yellow onion
- About 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- About 1-2 cups of diced watermelon
- 6 ounces of fat free feta
- About two handfuls of fresh mint leaves, julienned
- *Possible add ins to salad:
- Slices of grapefruit and orange
How you do it:
Whisk together the orange juice, lemon juice, onion, honey, salt, pepper, and mint. The mint addition to the dressing was Mr. Not Your Bubbe's idea. By doing this it will disperse well into the salad and the flavor is brought out more in the dressing. Next add in the olive oil and whisk well. Set aside.
Rinse the arugula. Chop the feta (or buy pre-crumbled). Toss these ingredients together with watermelon. Add grapefruit or orange segments if so desired.
Pour the vinaigrette over the salad to your liking.
Serves about 4 hefty salad portions. This is one salad that you truly do not need to be concerned with caloric intake- It's fresh and delightful. Enjoy!