I decided to toss the taters and substitute for a healthier, less carb alternative that I've been wanting to try for a while; mashed cauliflower.
Don't run away. It's good. I promise.
And the turkey burger is pretty tasty as well; Mr. Not Your Bubbe's Kitchen is in charge of the beef burgers; I find myself in charge of the turkey burgers. It works.
Here we go:
What you need:
- About 20 ounces of 99% lean ground turkey breast
- 1/4 cup of yellow onion chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (about) of worcestershire sauce
- 1/8-1/4 cup of egg beaters
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp grill mates montreal steak seasoning with reduced sodium
- 50% light cheddar cheese slices (like Cabot, Trader Joe's, Kraft)
- 1/2 Tbsp of oil
- whole wheat burger buns (4)
- 1 head of cauliflower
- some kosher salt & black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fat free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup of 2% shredded cheddar
- 1 Tbsp light style butter
- 1/4 cup of fat free half and half (you could use skim also, but I suggest adding 1-2 tsp of cornstarch in the milk before adding to the mashed cauliflower
- Fry pan, food processor or immersion blender
How to do it:
Assemble the burger patties-
In a bowl, add the meat, onion, garlic, worcestershire sauce, egg beaters, spices together.
Mixture will be very wet. Mold 4 burgers of equal size.
Heat oil in a non stick pan.
Place burgers on pan, do not squeeze them; allow the juice to stay in the burger. Cook on each side for about 7 minutes. Burgers should be golden brown.
Add cheddar to each burger, place a cover on the pan and let cheese melt for about 1-2 minutes.
Arrange with your favorite fixin's; lettuce, tomato, avocado is what I made mind with.
Now for the cauliflower-
Chop the cauliflower roughly and add to salted water. Boil for about 20 minutes.
Next drain the vegetable in a colander and take a bowl or a plate and lightly press all the liquid out of the cauliflower.
Place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add cream cheese, half and half, butter, cheese. Pulse again. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
It's good eats, folks. Hungry yet?