Sunday, October 3, 2010

Simple Roasted Veggies

People. One of the easiest dishes on the plant is roasted vegetables. In the colder months, this is a go to. You can play up different types of vegetables with various spices...cayenne for spice, cumin for a warmth, maybe just salt- skies the limit!


One of my favorites is roasted asparagus. I've tried it with lemon juice and garlic (awesome), tried it with plain ole' salt and pepper, and also sprinkled some parmesan cheese on them.


This time I decided to not only roast asparagus, but I added sliced shallots and also baby roma tomatoes. As a child, I used to love just eating a raw tomato with some salt and cheddar cheese on it, this time I figured I would warm it up.


Here is what I did for roasted asparagus, shallots, and tomatoes. Amounts below served my husband and myself.
Oven at 425 degrees, let it preheat.


Trim the asparagus (about 15-20) of woody ends & slice the shallot (1), and about 8-10 baby roma tomatoes.
On a baking sheet, place vegetables. Make sure the baking sheet is "pam'd"
Layer the shallots over the asparagus.
Drizzle about 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil of the vegetables. 
Take about 1/2 tsp of coarse salt, and sprinkle on all of the vegetables.
Next, take fresh cracked black pepper and apply liberally.
Grab your garlic powder and sprinkle lightly on the vegetables.
Last, sprinkle some dried rosemary on the vegetables.


Roast for 8-12 minutes. 
Serves 2; as a side dish or a very light meal.


So when you have those veggies in your fridge and you don't know what to do with them, remember, roasting is your friend!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment