Well well well. Who knew my banana bread recipe here could get healthier?
With a couple of small changes, this recipe cuts out the refined sugar and adds a little bit more protein.
- 1 1/2 cups sifted whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 medium, ripe (turning brown) bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup all natural unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp all natural smooth peanut butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x4x2 loaf pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon).
- In a smaller mixing bowl, combine the next four ingredients (bananas, egg, agave nectar, applesauce, peanut butter).
- In the dry ingredient bowl, make a well in the center.
- Pour the wet ingredients all at once into the well.
- Combine ingredients til dry is now wet like a batter. The batter will be lumpy. Do not over mix.
- Place batter in greased loaf pan.
- Place in oven for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick (or slender picking type object of your choice) comes out clean when you insert it in the center of the bread.
- Let cool completely on wire rack (pop it out of pan)
- Wrap it in plastic wrap for about 24 hours (if you can wait that long) before cutting into it.
- Serves 8 slices