Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter Salad


Salad can be boring.

Yeah, I said it. Do you disagree?

This salad that I adapted from Williams Sonoma Bride and Groom Cookbook is NOT boring. It's delicious. I made the "full fat" version for New Years Eve (hey, I indulge occasionally!), but this week for lunches for my husband and I, I opted to make a lower fat, more figure friendly version. You know, the type of recipe that will help you look the way you want to look on the beach...let's say in a month...in Aruba? Oh wait...that's what I was thinking. I digress....

This salad includes sliced Belgian Endives, Spring mix lettuce (typically includes Radicchio, Baby Spinach, other Baby greens, and Arugala), pecans, fuji apples, and a light Roquefort dressing that pairs quite nicely with the mixed greens. But, I will say...Roqeufort can be a "smelly" cheese. If your opposed to this, you could go with a milder blue, like Danish Blue.

The what's in it:
  1. 2 cups of spring mix salad blend
  2. 2 Belgian Endives, outer, wilted leaves removed; sliced.
  3. 1/4 cup of shelled pecans
  4. 2 fuji apples, chopped into bite sized pieces.
  5. 2 ounces Roquefort cheese
  6. 6 tbsp fat free half and half
  7. 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  8. Kosher salt and pepper

The how to:
In a small bowl, whisk the half and half and cider vinegar together.
Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste
Crumble in the cheese. Whisk a little bit.

In a salad bowl, combine the first four ingredients (endive, greens, pecans, apples).

When ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over the salad mix.

This will serve 4 appetizer portions, or 2 for lunch.


The facts:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 salad

Amount per Serving

Calories 173
Calories from Fat 88

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 9.8g
15%
Saturated Fat 3.3g
16%
Cholesterol 15.0mg
5%
Sodium
17%
Total Carbohydrate 16.5g
5%
Dietary Fiber 3.4g
13%
Sugars 10.1g
Protein 5.4g
10%



No comments:

Post a Comment