Sunday, June 27, 2010

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Adult Ice Cream- Part 1



It's hot outside. When it's hot out, for some reason, I always have nostalgia of the ice cream truck coming by the neighborhood blaring sounds of the entertainer, over and over and over again.

But, I've been getting sick of my skinny cow treats (albeit, delicious), or frozen weight watcher ice cream cups. I needed to try something new. And then this happened. Jen, from Our Good (Food) Life blog challenged me. She recently posted Margarita Ice Cream, and said to me "I challenge you to make it healthier!" Well, Jen, challenge accepted!

I decided to take it one step further. Not only was I going to attempt making ice cream for the first time, or even alcoholic ice cream, but I was going to try to make two different types of icy treats.

The best part about these frozen treats? You do not need an ice cream maker.

First one up- Not as bad for you Margarita Ice Cream (Mr. Not Your Bubbe's Kitchen Approved!)

What you need:
  • 1 cup 2% evaporated milk (such as Carnation brand).
  • 1 cup fat free half and half (such as Land O Lakes brand)
  • 1.25 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 2 tbsp tequila (I used 1800 Reposada Silver)
  • 3 tbsp Cointreau (you could use any orange flavor liquor)
How you do it:

Dissolve the powdered sugar in the lime juice, tequila, and the Cointreau.
Add the evaporated milk and half and half.
Whisk the ingredients together until it gets a bit thicker and has a smooth consistency.

Pour into a container (see photo below for an idea of size) and freeze overnight.


Your result is a smooth, almost sorbet like consistency that tastes just like your favorite frozen margarita!

Are you ready for the facts for this frozen deliciousness?
Are you ready to see the original recipe's facts?

Here you go!
The original recipe's break down (Yikes!!!)

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1/2 cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 329
Calories from Fat 240.0
Total Fat 26.67g
Saturated Fat 18.67g
Cholesterol 106.67mg
Sodium 0mg
Total Carbohydrate 8.1g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 7.89g
Protein 0g
My recipe's break down (phew...)

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1/2 cup

Amount per Serving

Calories 197
Calories from Fat 6.0
Total Fat 0.67g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 6.67mg
Sodium 86.1mg
Total Carbohydrate 34.79g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 32.65g
Protein 3.98g
Now go on, try this out. You know you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment